Wales vs England – Six Nations 2017 – Round 2

Wales vs England or England vs Wales. Call it what you like but everybody knows it is one of the biggest rivalries in sport. Yes. Sport! Players have become house hold names and fan favourites from one game. It was physical from the first whistle with players like Ross Moriarty coming in with some huge hits.

Leigh Halfpenny and Owen Farrell exchanged penalties before the first try. Jonathan Joseph spun the ball out to the wing and Elliot Daly ran back in field. He offloaded the ball ‘out the back’ to Mike Brown who snaffled a few extra metres and got to within a metre. Ben Youngs then proceeded to pick up the ball and reach over much to the delight of the English. A rare miss from Farrell was capitalised by Wales with Halfpenny hitting his second penalty of the match.

Wales started to dominate and kept themselves in the England 22 for about 10 minutes. They had a scrum to work off and Ross Moriarty scooped the ball up from the bottom of the scrum. He offloaded to Rhys Webb who played a lovely pass to Liam Williams who ran into acres of space and dashed in. The Principality Stadium was thrown into caos as every Welsh fan went mental. Halfpenny converted from infront of the posts to push Wales 13-8 ahead.

James Haskell had come off the bench and made a huge impact. He carried it up and Wales knicked the ball illegally. Farrell hit the resulting penalty and suddenly it was a different game with there just 2 points in it.

Wales had slowed down and needed a talisman to take back the momentum they had had earlier in the game. Sam Warburton carried the ball up fiercly and Haskell was trapped in the ruck. Consequently, Halfpenny stepped up and hit the resulting penalty.

England were yet again hammering away at the Welsh line Maro Itoje carried the ball up and they were just shy of a metre away from the line. Ben Youngs had to dig for the ball and when he finally did get the ball out, Dan Biggar intercepted! He put his head down and paced away from George Ford. Elliot Daly managed to keep up so Biggar kicked ahead. Daly yet again beat Biggar to the ball and slid in to kick the ball out. Another opportunity wasted by England and if it wasn’t for the Wasps winger’s pace, the game would have been lost.

Despite Wales pushing them back, England were still hammering away at Wales. Owen Farrell’s pass sent the ball outwide to Jamie George who drove towrads the line. They got so close again but Wales ripped the ball. England had a advantage though so Jerome Garcés  took it back. Owen Farrell yet again hit the penalty!

With 5 minutes left, the men in red just wanted to keep the ball. They were pinned on their line so they had no choice but to kick. Gareth Davies passed the ball back to Jonathan Davies. Davies kicked long but missed touch and found George Ford. He then passed to Owen Farrell who fed and absolutely sensational pass to Elliot Daly on the run. Daly was shown the outside by Alex Cuthbert and he took that space. He turned the after burners on and burnt Cuthbert on the outside and dived in. Every England fan went crazy! Finally after all the pressure, one terific pass won the game for England!

The clock turned red and Danny Care smashed the ball into touch for a famous victory. It was hard fought and very tough but somehow England had beaten Wales. What a match!Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 17.23.17.png


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s