Aviva Premiership 2016/17 – Round 17 – Results

Sale Sharks 12 – 32 Northampton Saints

Sale Sharks’ form seemed to have hit a turning point but in past weeks, it has gone down hill. They started slowly again and were caught short after Harry Mallinder magically flipped the ball with pace to Ken Pisi who dived over. They then crossed again when Michael Paterson managed to wriggle over from a maul. Sale fought back through Josh Charnley courtesy of a Mike Haley grubber through. The Saints responded again after yet another maul which Mikey Haywood profited from. Sale would not lie down however and when Northampton rushed up in defence, Bryn Evans found a gap and managed to run in despite the efforts of 2 Saints. Stephen Myler had been influential all game and he supplied the pass to Ethan Waller who battered over to get the bonus point and finshed the contest all together.

Leicester Tigers 15 – 34 Exeter Chiefs

The return of player like Telusa Veani and JP Piertersen has given Leicester a massive boost in recent weeks while Exeter, who started slowly this season, are playing a fantastic brand of rugby. It was the Tigers who took first blood though. Michele Rizzo was the man who evaded one tackler and managed to roll over the line. Kye Horstman replied for the Chiefs when he charged down Owen Williams kick and dived on the loose ball to get the touchdown. Things kept getting worse for Leicester though when Tom Youngs collapsed a strong maul, they lost a man as well as conceding a penalty try. Stuart Townsend, who was making his first ever Premiership start, sniped from short range to give Leicester even bigger worries as they went into halftime losing by 27 points to 8. Maxime Mermoz has been a revelation since he joined on loan and he crossed for the Tigers after a nice Owen Williams pass. Leicester were beginning to play with some pace now and they nearly crossed again after a neat crossfield kick from Williams bounced and Adam Thompstone grounded the ball. But the the TMO ruled that the wingers knee had just scraped the dead ball line. Geoff Parling was sent to the bin for Exeter but Leicester could not take advantage of the extra man. In fact, it was Exeter who did when Mitch Lees drove over the line from close range to finish the game.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s